Between being a momma of 4 kiddos, a wife, and upcoming skin care mogul, things can get quite hectic. I know your life is probably just as crazy, if not more, and when the night has finally come and the bed starts calling, it's not always on your mind to go to the bathroom to take off your makeup from the day. I mean, after all, what's the big deal anyway. Well, I wanted to answer this question, and the answer may get you up and out your bed to wash your face!
Here Are The Facts Beauty:
- Sleeping in makeup can cause serious skin and other facial damage (more details to come so keep on reading)
- The more often you do it, the more damage that is done, and the harder you have to work to reverse that damage.
- You should be cleansing your skin at least 2x per day, whether you use makeup or not. Just the regular environmental pollutants that we experience in our normal daily routine are enough to negatively affect your skin.
Okay, now let's dive deeper:
Sleeping in Foundation:
Foundation's function is to cover the skin, creating kind of a "pseudo-skin" layer that is smooth and even. While covering up some of our imperfections, it also covers up all of our pores, which are in need for fresh air and most importantly OXYGEN!
- Foundation is highly absorbent and adhesive, as it needs to lay flat and adhere to our skin in order to achieve that flawless look. This adhesive natural also makes it a perfect harboring ground for pollutants, dust, airborne bacteria, dust mites, mold, and other environmental pollutants accumulated throughout our day.
- Worst of all, the lack of oxygen given to pores and skin cells while wearing foundation can inhibit skin cell renewal, that is needed to create collagen, thus causing wrinkles...AND... it can also clog pores causing acne! Acne and wrinkles at the same time? I'll pass!
Slipping With Lipstick:
Just the fact that most commercial lipsticks contain mineral oil, petroleum, synthetic colorants, and fragrances, and countless other potentially toxic ingredients, should be enough to make us stay away from it altogether. But who doesn't like a little blush lippie in the springtime, right?
- Due to the amounts of chemicals found in most lipsticks, leaving it on overnight (or for too long- period!) can zap moisture straight out of your lips! Leaving them dry, chapped and in need of serious repair. And that ain't cute!
Sleeping In Mascara:
I could go over the list of ingredient you would probably find in your favorite lash blaster, but I'll spare you the details on this one.
- The elements in mascara can dry out, leaving your eyelashes dry, brittle and breaking off. And since we usually use mascara to improve the look of lash length, sleeping with it on would be beyond counterproductive!
- The particles in mascara can also clog the eyelash follicles, causing really nasty eye infections, and potentially loss of lashes. Again- counterproductive!
Other General Problems With Not Removing Makeup Before Bed:
- Dry Skin
- Infected Pores
- Cracked/Chapped Skin
- Chemical Burns
Now, if you haven't gotten up to wash your face yet, you're stronger than me. I washed mine twice before bed just writing this blog! I suggest you go remove that makeup now, and you can thank me later!