We all want perfect skin. But sometimes you get what you get...a skin condition such as acne or eczema. Your first thought is "why me?!" And second, "what’s the best way to heal my skin - naturally?" You’ve probably heard about how the best essential oils can have powerful aromatherapeutic properties, but did you know that they are powerful, active agents as well? Essential oils can be used for many different types of skin conditions. Essential oils are the concentrated liquid that is extracted from herbs, flowers, fruits, seeds and a whole bunch of other plants and plant by-products. Each essential oil is unique, with its own aroma and use. So what are the best essential oils for healing skin?
Healing Oil for Eczema
Dermatitis, more commonly known as Eczema, can be a very debilitating skin disorder. Dry and itchy patches of skin are generally mild symptoms, as the worst include blisters and thickening of the skin.
- Bergamot – Helps to soothe nasty rashes.
- Chamomile – Very soothing for dry skin, as well as irritating rashes.
- Lavender – Soothes itchy skin, as well as helping to heal sore skin.
- Carrot Seed – Has a rejuvenating effect and softens skin, a great addition to an after break out treatment to help prevent or ease the hardening of the skin associated with severe eczema.
- Neroli – Helps improve skin elasticity, and a good combination for Carrot Seed for after eczema care.
Healing Oil for Acne
Oily skin, hormones, clogged pours, excessive production of sebum, hygiene and even diet have been tipped as potential triggers for acne.
- Tea Tree – Amazing antiseptic, the best essential oil for acne.
- Clary Sage – Balances out the production of sebum, a suspected cause of acne.
- Eucalyptus – Clears out congested skin, reduces swelling and will help heal burst pustules.
- Frankincense – Soothes sore skin, as well as working to balance out oily skin.
- Cedarwood – Relieves uncomfortable itchiness (to stop your scratching and scarring yourself) as well as balancing out oily skin.
- Geranium – Balances out the production of sebum, as well as reducing the bruising associated with cystic acne.
- Grapefruit – Removes toxins from the skin that could be contributing to the formation for new pustules and pimples. Also decongests clogged pores.
- Juniper Berry – Anti-inflammatory, as well as unclogging congested pores.
- Lemon – Works to clean out pours then close them after. Also kills microorganisms that could be a major contributor to acne.
- Petitgrain – Decongests blocked pores, as well as working to sooth and heal any open pimples.
- Rose – Reduces redness and inflammation.
- Ylang-Ylang – Balances the secretion of sebum.
Healing Oil for Rosacea
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that is characterised by redness, swelling, acne like pimples, pronounced blood vessels and a burning sensation. It is most commonly found on the face (particularly on the cheeks, around the nose and on the forehead) although it can occur anywhere on the body.
- Chamomile – Soothes the sting and itch of this condition.
- Frankincense – Helps to soothe and heal, as well as speeding up the process of new cell production (helping to reduce redness more efficiently).
- Lavender – This will also help to soothe the itch commonly associated with Rosacea.
- Geranium – This will aid in soothing your sore patches, but also increase blood flow to the skin and underlying blood vessels (potentially reducing the pronounced look of dilated blood vessels).
- Carrot Seed – This will soothe your skin, as well as soften the hard or rough texture that can develop on chronically effected skin.
- Juniper Berry – An anti-inflammatory that attack some of the swelling.
- Eucalyptus – One of the best essential oil anti-inflammatories, will get to work on any and all areas of swelling.
- Rose – Rose will help to reduce swelling, but more importantly reduce any redness that we associate with this condition.
Mother nature has supplied us with all we need. Isn't it amazing. Stay Natural!