Every once and in a while you may stare at yourself, wondering how your skin has managed to look like the surface of the moon. With large open pools of pores staring back at you, you throw on some foundation and head out the door. What are these pores that are always spoken of in beauty magazines? And who told them to open up and get bigger anyway? What could have triggered something like this to happen to your face?
What Are Pores Anyway?
Pores play an important part in skin physiology, for one, they allow the skin’s natural oils to surface to protect our skin from the environment.
They contain hair follicles, sebum and sweat glands, which means that they can easily become clogged.
What Makes Pores Look Enlarged?
Dead skin cells from the skin’s outer layer become stuck to the surface, creating the appearance of an enlarged pore.
In addition to this these dead skin cells can become coated in oil and provide a feeding ground for bacteria. This leads to blackheads, spots and pimples.
Similarly, open pores worsen with increasing age as the skin loses elasticity. Genetics, stress, and a poor skin care routine also contribute to open pores.
Now, that you know what are pores are and why they become enlarged and look like the surface of the moon, how do you correct this issue and prevent it from happening again? How do we close these open pores and keep them shut forever? Well……we may never be able to close them up forever, but I can share some steps for closing them and getting them to stay relatively small over time! Remember that pores are a natural part of your skin and cannot be completely eliminated.
Try These Remedies:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works as a natural astringent and skin toner. Thus, it tightens your skin, reduces large pores, and restores the skin’s pH balance. Plus, it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat acne breakouts.
- Mix equal amounts of organic apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on for a few minutes, and then rinse it off.
- For best results, use this remedy every night after cleansing your face. Follow up with a light moisturizer. You will notice improvement within a few weeks.
You can get even more benefits from Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) by using it along with skin-loving ingredients. Try Our Flawless Facial Apple, Honey and Green Tea Face Toner (click here to purchase) for a refreshing pore-closing toner experience!
- Baking Soda
Baking soda works as a gentle exfoliating agent, removing excess oil, dirt and debris from your skin. It also helps balance the pH levels of the skin and reduces problems like acne and pimples due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix two tablespoons each of baking soda and lukewarm water.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and massage in circular motion for a few seconds.
- Finally, rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat the process daily for five to seven days. Then reduce the frequency to three to five times a week for a few weeks.
- Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth, also known as multani mitti, is another useful natural remedy for open pores as it absorbs excess oil and exfoliates the skin. In addition, it helps reduce scars and blemishes and benefits sun-damaged skin.
- Mix sufficient rose water in two tablespoons of fuller’s earth to make a paste.
- Apply it on your face, and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes until it dries.
- Scrub it off and rinse your face with cool water.
- Use this mud mask once or twice a week regularly
- Sugar Scrub
Homemade sugar scrubs can be of great help in reducing large pores as they exfoliate the skin and remove excess oil and impurities.
- Mix two tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Gently rub it on your skin for 20 to 30 seconds, and then wash it off with cool water. Use it regularly, once or twice a week.
- Put a little sugar on a lemon wedge or slice and gently rub it all over your face. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then wash your face. Do this two times a week at least for a few weeks.
- You can also apply a combination of equal parts of honey and lemon juice and a little sugar. Massage your skin with it, and leave it on for five to 10 minutes before rinsing it off. Repeat once or twice a week for a month, or until you achieve the desired results.
Love the idea of a sugar scrub, but not sown for all that work? Try our Brown Sugar and Honey (click here to purchase) scrub!
Not only will it help unclog pores, and reduce the size of them- it also has antibacterial properties that kill acne causing bacteria and your skin feels like a newborn after using it! You’ll find it hard to use only once or twice a week.
So there you have it….reducing pores is fairly easy. You just have to stay vigilant and consistent in using the natural remedies set forth here to get them clear and closed. Remember, this also includes, not filling your pores with toxins from poor diet, and lack of oxygen from exercise.
If you are interested in learning more remedies for your skin and learning how to change your diet and lifestyle to create beautiful, clear skin, I will be holding a Skin D.E.E.P. Masterclass at the end of October. Join The Mailing list here to make sure you hear about it first!