November 01 2019 – Tyra Johnson-Brown
What exactly is activated charcoal? Well we know it’s a black dusty looking material, not the most appealing, but honey trust me the benefits are worth it! It has so many benefits it was once referred to as the universal anecdote. Activated charcoal is a fine black powder made from bone char, coconut shells, peat, petroleum coke, coal, olive pits or sawdust. The charcoal becomes activated by processing it at high temperatures in which reduces the size of its pores and increases it surface area. This porous texture is what makes it different from other types of charcoal especially grilling charcoal.
So exactly how does activated charcoal work? Activated charcoal essentially cannot be absorbed by your body as its negative charge and porous texture does attract and absorb toxins within the body and removing them through feces. This benefit allows activated charcoal to be used as and emergency treatment for poison. See more of the benefits below!
- Gas reduction: Some studies report that activated charcoal may help reduce gas production following a gas-producing meal. It may also help improve the odor of gas.
- Water filtration: Activated charcoal is a popular way to reduce heavy metal and fluoride content in water.
- Tooth whitening: Using activated charcoal to brush your teeth is anecdotally said to whiten the. It's said to do so by absorbing plaque and other teeth-staining compounds.
- Hangover prevention: Activated charcoal is sometimes used as a hangover cure. While consuming it with alcohol may reduce blood alcohol levels
- Skin treatment: Applying this charcoal to the skin is touted as an effective treatment for acne and insect or snake bites. However, only anecdotal reports can be found on this topic.
Ok, I know you saw it, the magic word...skin! Activated charcoal is great for your skin. As it does with any other toxins, it specifically helps to remove and pull toxins from deep within your skin. It draws bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of your skin, helping you to achieve a flawless complexion and fight acne. So what’s our favorite method of using activated charcoal? The Charcoal Moringa Clay Detoxifying Mask of course.
Tagged: activated, all-natural, allnatural, allnaturalremedies, bacteria, bblogger, beauty, beautyblogger, black skincare, blackskincare, charcoal, clearskin, flawless, flawlessskin, glowingskin, greenbeauty, ingredientsmatter, micro, naturalbeauty, naturalremedies, nochemicals, poison, skin, skincare, skincaretips, skintone