June is National Acne Awareness Month, so acne is the now buzzword in the skincare industry. You must have seen many product ads and read some blogs on acne and may be struggling to make sense of the information overload. We are here to help you drill down to the fundamental issues of acne by bringing you evidence-based information on acne. The Butter Bar Skincare is a business that practice corporate social responsibility. We don’t just sell you skincare products with guaranteed quality and potency, we empower you with information and education on skin problems our products treat. This helps to dispel myths and resolve misconceptions about skin problems that could influence poor decisions and negative help-seeking habits. Read on to understand that Acne Is No Small Problem and experience the power of our skincare products (Acne Kits & Bundles) in clearing dark spots (hyperpigmentation) and reducing scarring caused by acne.
In our last blog, we explained to you how acne develops when a hair follicle is plugged with sebum (oily secretion) and dead skin cells. As the mix of oil and dead skin cells build up in a hair follicle, a bump clogging the follicle could develop underneath or on the skin. Acne commonly breaks out on the face, chest, shoulders and back. In this blog, we present you some facts to let you know that Acne Is No Small Problem.
- Acne is the most common skin problem in the United States affecting about 40 to 50 million Americans at any period.
- About 85% of American young adults (teenagers) experience acne. However, acne can develop at any age with increase in adult acne being reported.
- Causes of acne and factors that contribute to its development are many making acne a difficult skin condition to treat and acne reappears after a successful treatment. Genetics, fluctuations in hormone levels and adverse reactions to some drugs and skin care products (cream/gels) are responsible for causing acne in some people. Heavy makeup clogs hair follicles and contribute to acne breakouts. Presence in hair follicle of a germ Cutibacterium acnes (formerly Propionibacterium acnes) triggers inflammation and acne development.
- Acne occurs in different types and severity. Acne vulgaris is the common acne type. It is mild, superficial and can be treated with over-the-counter (OTC) medications. However, severe types of acne usually resist OTC medications and are better treated by skin specialists (dermatologists). Some severe acne types include papules, pustules, nodules and cysts. Pustules are generally referred to as pimples. Nodules and cysts occur deep in the skin. Severe acne types are usually infected, cause skin breakdown and wound, and heal to leave behind scarred and hyperpigmented skin spots.
- Many people with recurrent or severe acne, especially of the face, are known to suffer low self-esteem and depression due to associated cosmetic issues.
- Popping acne is a usual practice, but it carries health risks. Popping even common acne could cause increased inflammation and transformation to severe acne. Popping pimples located in the Danger Triangle of the face could lead to brain infection, permanent paralysis of some body parts or death.
Dermatologists advise that we should not pop pimples as doing so could worsen them and cause serious health problems. They advise that common and mild acne types could be treated with OTC medications, while people with severe acne types should consult their doctors.
When acne breakouts heal, dark skin spots usually develop and take months or years to disappear. People with severe acne types that develop deep in the skin such as nodules and cysts often have scars which could be permanent. While early treatment of acne is recommenced by dermatologists to prevent post-acne hyperpigmentation and scarring, The Butter Bar Skincare has developed a range of natural, high-potent products for acne and reducing post-acne scarring and hyperpigmentation. These products come in combination kits & bundles for treatment of different skin types affected by acne such as normal, dry and oily skin types. Some skincare products made with artificial/synthetic materials are known to cause skin irritation, inflammation and acne, but use of our Acne Kits & Bundles made of 100% natural ingredients assures skin-friendly experience. And what’s more, Enjoy 20% off on ALL Full-Size Acne Kits & Bundles purchased throughout this June.